Tuesday 8 April 2014

Giving My Awesome Cafe A Second Chance

Another Visit To My Awesome Cafe

Last week, I wrote a blog post lamenting the need for business owners to follow through on their fabulous ideas with  great action plans right through to the flawless delivery of their services or products.   

In that post, I mentioned My Awesome Café, one of Singapore’s newest and hippest cafés that had been making waves amongst professionals working in the Central Business District who were gagging for a moment of peace and relaxation as they sipped their coffees and tucked into their awesome salads, quiche, sandwiches or desserts.  I was quite unhappy with the slow service and wrong orders that some of us had experienced.  And I swore then never to visit My Awesome Café again.

However, when it came to desserts, or broadly, when it came to any kind of food, I always broke my promises.  My personal trainer and my heart surgeon would be familiar with this.

Today, I had decided to don my rather rare but widely welcomed calm composure, and gamely paid My Awesome Café another visit.  I attributed this irrational behavior to my uncontrollable weakness for desserts, and my soft spot for the café’s intrepid owner, Franck. 

The Second Chance

The service was still slow on the second visit, even though we were there at the tail-end of the busy lunch hour and wanted to just relax into a cup of coffee and a cake.  I sauntered to the dessert shelf and Franck gave me a rundown on all his awesome desserts.  I always enjoyed talking to Franck.  When I told him I might have the "Awegasm In A Cup", he would retort smugly, " Good choice!  That would be me then." 

I mustered a lot of self-control to order only 2 types of dessert – the pineapple upside down cake which I had lovingly labelled "Sex On A Plate" and the bread and butter pudding.  Both did not disappoint.  The pineapple upside down cake in particular, was served moist and warm and had generous chunks of pineapple in it.   In fact, I regretted not ordering 2 pineapple upside down cakes.  Maybe, next time, I might even pre-order the entire tray in fact. 

I soon forgot how long it took for the coffee to arrive.   Franck was quickly forgiven.  I was too busy enjoying the desserts that I forgot to even order my own cup of coffee while the rest of the girls in my party were served theirs.  

So you see, a customer could be so easily pleased if only one thing...just one thing..could be gotten right.  In My Awesome Cafe's case, there were two. One was the awesome desserts, the other was the awesome attitude of its owner Franck who managed to explain the menu items,  engaged the customers, took their orders and cleared the tables even when faced with the mounting pressure of his kitchen staff not turning around the food service fast enough and irate customers who just did not have the time to wait for a salad.

I am sure the café will soon creep back into my list of favorite chill-out places to go again.   I promptly chided myself for expecting perfection when I was there for awesomeness.  Perhaps, I needed to learn to separate the two.

When I am braver and calmer still, I will head back there for lunch to give its signature Awesome Salad another chance too.


About The Writer


The writer of this blog post is a 44 year old mother of one, who spreads her time between her day job as a marketing professional at a financial institution, her hobby as a certified professional tarot reader, numerologist and astrologer, and her family which includes a 20 year old son and 3 dogs with personality disorders.  She's married to a Scot who has been affectionately called "The Crazy AngMo" and prays that he does not find out that the term when translated, has labeled him as a "Ginger Head".   Together, we create a home made up with more nuts than a fruitcake but filled with plenty of love.  Her other blog can be found at http://sungoddesstarot.blogspot.com




My Awesome Cafe's logo and vision

Sex On A Plate: Photo taken by Chia Seow Wee

No comments:

Post a Comment