Sunday 16 July 2023

From Layoff To Lift-off

 







While it's common for people to share their experiences of resigning from a job that no longer brings them happiness, there seems to be a reluctance to discuss being laid off due to the stigma attached to it. Despite this, I choose to open up and share what I went through, as I believe it can provide comfort and guidance to those currently going through similar situations.


I had spent about 25 years in the corporate world.  While many would celebrate this silver jubilee with a luxurious vacation, mine ended with an unexpected layoff.


Though I saw it coming, the emotions didn't hit until I wheeled my belongings out of the office I'd occupied for over a decade.


Losing a job is one of the most stressful experiences in life, and even if it's foreseeable, it's hard to be fully prepared.


From my own experience, I know that initial emotions are usually anger and anxiety. 



Being retrenched feels personal, and the initial thoughts are often about how good one's performance had been. But it's crucial to understand that it's a corporate decision, not a reflection of one's capabilities. 



In the current climate of news regarding job losses, I'd like to share three things I've learned from my experience.


1. Take time to process your emotions but adopt a positive mindset once you're ready to move forward.



Losing a job can be a traumatic experience that can greatly affect one's self-esteem and mental health. I experienced depression and had to process emotions of anger, sadness, and anxiety. 


During this time, I also had a series of interviews with my favorite brands, but my imposter syndrome got the best of me, and I failed spectacularly. 


It's true that negative thoughts can attract negative outcomes.


However, after acknowledging my feelings and taking an objective view of the situation, I realized that my layoff was not a reflection of my capabilities. 



It was a corporate decision made to reduce headcount, or whatever strategic business decision it was that frankly, based on my track record reflected in my annual appraisals, had nothing to do with my performance. 


Rather than feeling bitter and inadequate, I reminded myself of my 25 years of marketing communications experience, and that I could apply my skills and knowledge in various areas. That experience is my super power.


This shift in mindset was empowering and allowed me to shed my ego and connect with others, which brings me to my next point:



2. Communicate and connect with your professional circle.


Despite feeling dejected and hopeless after my layoff, I was pleasantly surprised by the overwhelming support I received from my network once I opened up about my experience. 



Their warm words and advice, such as "Nothing changes the fact that you're a great marketer," "Don't get angry, get on with it," and "What can I do for you?" still stick in my mind today.



my network, I was introduced to various associates who generously referred me to potential job opportunities. 



For example, the ex CHRO of the company I had worked for, Jonas Ang, introduced me to May Cheng who then introduced me to the inspiring and energetic Kim Underhill, who invited me to join  She Brilliance, a women's mentoring and support group at which I remain actively involved in today.


My friends and business contacts rallied around me with advice, supported me with introductions, invited me into their respective communities, and that helped grow my network of friendships out of which some had become my clients today.


Many people view being laid off as a taboo topic, but we shouldn't treat it as a stigma. There are many people out there ready to offer us the support we need; we just need to be open to receiving it.




3. Review your finances, and consider your next steps.


As the primary earner for my family, I had to thoroughly assess my financial situation and determine how many months my family could survive without my income. 


After carefully considering my options, I ultimately decided to establish Bravery Communications, a marketing communications consultancy, instead of seeking employment with another company.



Being a solopreneur allows me greater flexibility as well as the opportunity to work only with clients that are aligned with my values.


While my fixed salary covers household expenses and my mother's allowance, I supplement my income by increasing my focus on my side hustle, which generates additional income each month.  



The experience forced me to be practical with my finances, and acknowledge how much was really enough to allow my family and I to have a reasonably good quality of life.  I even called on the professional expertise of my financial planner to do a financial review at this juncture when I lost my job and was about to embark on a new entreneurial journey, and map a financial gameplan for me based on my new circumstance. 


We need to approach our finances and future plans in a feasible manner, and it helps to do a sense-check with the family too.  My husband was my main pillar of support throughout the whole ordeal then and even now,  as a key member of my team within my firm, managing all the invoicing, expenses, and tax matters.


If you’ve recently lost your job or know someone going through tough times, please know this: you are not alone. With a positive mindset, you can turn from layoff to lift-off and stride forward in your career. Please reach out to me if you need to talk, my inbox is always open.



This blogpost was written for and on behalf of me by the talented Lena Loke.









 












No comments:

Post a Comment